Sugar scrubs are eco-friendly, non-toxic and edible!! Now we have more time than ever for self-care, it's important to properly care for our bodies, not just beautify! In this article we've listed a recipe that you can swap ingredients in and out of according to what you have at home and/or your preferences. This healthy scrub can also be adapted for sensitive skin or for a deeper scrub!
Body scrubs are primarily used as an exfoliator, but sugar scrubs have particular benefits over other scrubs. Glycolic acid is naturally occurring in sugar. It cleanses the skin and helps dissolve dead skin cells. It also helps preserve moisture in skin and does not strip it of the natural oil your body makes.
What type of sugar should you use?
- Brown sugar is great for sensitive skin. It's the least abrasive which makes it the go-to for a face scrub, too. You can use a brown sugar scrub up to 4 times a week
- Pure cane sugar can be used on all skin types. We love it because it contains some essential ingredients to feed our skin. A pure sugar cane scrub can be used 2-3 times a week!
- Turbinado sugar (a type of raw sugar) is great for making body scrub. This is because its large granules make it coarse. Because it isn't as processed as our other two options, it contains more essential minerals for our skin. You can use a scrub made with raw sugar up to 2 times a week.
- 250ml sugar of choice (either one or a mixture of the sugars above)
- 3 tbsp oil (sweet almond, jojoba, olive, apricot, walnut or your favourite natural oil to use on your body)
- Place the sugar in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the oil one tbsp at a time while mixing with a spoon. Once you reach a sandy but moist consistency, stop adding oil. How much oil you use depends on the sugar and the oil types.
- Use after a shower or at the end of a bath to soften the skin and make it easier to exfoliate. Gently rub on the skin in circular motions on your entire body if you've made a scrub for your body, or even more gently on your face if you've made a face scrub.
- Rinse off and pat dry your skin. Then enjoy soft, subtle skin!