If you're vegan and gluten free, it can be hard to source a delicious cake. But what if we told you you could make one in 45 minutes? Game changer! This lemon drizzle cake is not only zingy and sweet, but it's texture is very close to a conventional cake - pretty unusual to many vegan and free-from alternatives.
For the cake
- 60g coconut oil
- 200ml almond milk, or any kind of nut milk
- 6 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 10 tablespoons maple syrup, honey will also work
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g ground almonds
- 150g gluten free flour
- 2 heaped tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
For the topping
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Then place the coconut oil in a large bowl and melt over a bain-marie.
- Once melted, add the milk, lemon juice, zest, maple syrup, vanilla, salt and ground almonds.
- Sift in the baking powder and baking soda. Mix well and add a splash more milk if the mixture is too dry.
- Line a round, greased baking tin with baking paper then pour in the mixture and smooth over with a spatula.
- Bake in the oven for around 30 mins until the cake is golden and a skewer comes out clean when inserted.
- While the cake is baking, mix the ingredients for the topping.
- When the cake is baked, take out of the oven and drizzle over the topping while warm.
- Allow the cake to cool before cutting and serve!