Vegan treats aren't hard to find, but good vegan treat recipes are. Luckily, we have a fabulous recipe for vegan profiteroles which can be used for dinner parties, everyday dessert and a yummy afternoon snack. Enjoy!
For the profiteroles
- 120ml almond milk
- 5 tbsp vegan butter
- 250g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 50g icing sugar
- 1.5 litres olive oil, for frying
For the filling
- 320ml coconut cream
- 1 shot Almond Baileys (or vegan liqueur equivalent)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
For the chocolate sauce
- 300ml almond milk
- 3 tbsp agave nectar
- 100g vegan dark chocolate, chopped
To begin with, make the profiteroles.
- Add the milk and vegan butter to a small saucepan over a low heat. Mix gently until the ingredients is melted.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl then mix the milk and butter mixture in, until it becomes a wet dough.
- Lightly dust your hands and a worktop with flour, then roll the dough into neat balls - each ball should consist of around 2 tbsps of dough.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Then, fill a large saucepan with olive oil and set over a medium heat. The oil will be ready when a little piece of dough bubbles and floats to the surface.
- Depending on the size of your pan, fry 3-4 balls at a time for 3-4 minutes (until golden brown). Flip them over half way through cooking to make sure they are cooked all the way through.
- When cooked, remove from oil and place onto the lined baking tray.
Next up, make the cream filling
- Add all the filling ingredients into a large mixing bowl and whisk together until it has a thick, creamy consistency. Set aside until you're ready to serve the dish.
Next: chocolate sauce
- Pour the milk and agave nectar into a medium saucepan, over a low heat.
- When the milk is hot, pour in the chopped chocolate and stir until smooth and the chocolate has melted.
- Just before serving, cut the profiteroles in half, lengthways, then carefully spoon the cream onto the bottom halves, then pop the tops back on.
- Stack the profiteroles on a dish and drizzle the choc sauce over the rolls et voila!